TeamViewer Review

We save dozens of hours a week utilizing this solution

What is our primary use case?

We are in the commercial cinema theater business, like movies. We have things like simulators, advertising in commercial theaters all over the world. They sometimes have technical issues. So, we connect to see what is going on.

We use TeamViewer on computers, like laptops and servers. We also have tablets, but only one or two. Whereas, we have like 1,000 Windows Servers.

How has it helped my organization?

The sound and data transfer have improved the way our organization functions. For example, you can leave a TeamViewer application open and hear if a movie is playing with sound.

With an image, you can see immediately what's going on. You can run some tests. Without the solution, you need to do everything by telephone. It's not even thinkable. You would need to have VPNs with a lot of connections and virtual servers. This is so much more complicated. Weekly, we are saving dozens of hours using TeamViewer.

The remote connection process is pretty straightforward. Every new computer has a TeamViewer ID and password.

What is most valuable?

The biggest advantage of TeamViewer is the way you can send files. For example, if you need to program something or exchange pictures, it's not that easy to to send a document to a secure network, like Boeing or a military company. Sometimes, sites even block all the Internet and you need to do everything by telephone. With TeamViewer, the main advantage is you can send files and documents easily.

Another thing is you have sound, in the sense, you can hear. For example, we are playing short trailers, and you can hear it on the distant computer. This is useful to see if the sound is working. We will play trailers and see the image, but the customer will sometimes complain, "Hey, everything is good, but I don't have sound." With TeamViewer, I can hear the sound, not from my computer, but from his computer. This is super cool.

The chat function is handy, especially when we are dealing with people who don't have telephones in their projection rooms, or it's super noisy. Then, the chat is very useful.

Another feature that I like very much is the option where you can save the username and password. Once this is done, all you need to do is double click on the computer. It will connect directly. You don't need to type the password every time. This saves time because you cannot remember a dozen of passwords. You need to go somewhere and find them. But with this feature, you put them in once. Then, every time you are connected to particular sites, you just double click. There is almost no need for a repository for those passwords.

You can reboot remote computers with a feature called "Wait for Partner", so you don't need to monitor it. TeamViewer will pop up a little window when the client is back, saying, "Hey, I'm back online." You can work on something else, and if you need to reboot a computer, TeamViewer will notify you that the customer is back online. This is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

You are limited with the regular TeamViewer. You have don't have sound. You cannot transfer things. It has been a long time (years) since I used the regular version.

In the beginning, you will need a bit of adaptation to use the solution. This is normal. For example, if you are switching to a car with the wheel on the left to a car with the wheel on the right, you will need a bit of adaptation.

Even now, we have customers who will not allow us to connect to them because of security sensitivity, e.g., military departments for clients. They will send us pictures or we can talk with somebody onsite, then we need to ask them questions. However, this process is long. It's costly also because of the time spent. Instead of spending 30 minutes, we will spend two to three hours for the same thing.

A feature that they could add is chat with sound to talk.

I have been using TeamViewer Business edition for six to seven years. I have been using the regular version for more than 10 years.

The product has been stable for many years; no glitches.

In the beginning, security was an issue because you could be hacked. Anybody could transfer data from your computer. Right now, from what I have seen and heard, they have put a lot of security in TeamViewer. It's very secure right now. Though, it is hard to be sure 100 percent all the time, especially in the movie industry. For anti-piracy and things like that, studios are very tricky and pushy to have tight security. The fact that they accept TeamViewer means they did tests trying to find security breaches, and everything has been good until now.

There is not much maintenance need on our end as it is a lightweight program. The program upgrades itself.

We have a limited business license. We can have 10 people on it at the same time. We are doing support all over the world. With the version that we have, we are allowed to have 10 people using it at the same time. For example, because we are working with engineering of other groups, if we go over 10 users, the eleventh person who wants to use TeamViewer cannot.

We have about 1,000 clients. Our support team is six or seven guys, plus engineering. Though we are not all connected at the same time. For example, if five of us are support 1,000 clients, then individually, we are supporting 200 clients each.

We are sending out computers every day. So, we will probably double the solution in a couple of years. Right now, it's okay. There are some days when we need to ask somebody, "Close your session because we need another guy from engineering to connect." So, we will probably need more licenses in the future.

We never need tech support. We needed it once three years ago. We sent an email and had an answer almost immediately.

I used other solutions in the past, i.e., LogMeIn. At a certain point, we switched from LogMeIn to TeamViewer because LogMeIn was limited at 500 users.

It was a bit tricky because we had so many computers. We needed to generate IDs, passwords, and administrate passwords. We needed to have a machine to generate these, as this was sort of an additional software. We had thousands of computers, so we needed to have an ID, a password, and administrator password for each of them. So, we needed to have software to manually input this information in TeamViewer every time. Once we did that, it was perfect.

We aren't launching all the computers at the same time. We are launching them one at a time. Today, we are doing a server. Then, tomorrow, we may put TeamViewer in two or three servers. It's not a single shot. It's gradual. To install TeamViewer takes five minutes on each device, maybe more time.

We contacted TeamViewer directly in Germany. We discussed the price and things like that. With TeamViewer, you go to the Internet. Everybody can do it. I can do it. My son can do it. You download the program. Then, if you switch from a normal to business license, all you need to do is just put your credentials in and the program will upgrade itself. It is very simple. All you need is the Internet.

We have solved a lot using TeamViewer. While I cannot quantify this in money, without TeamViewer, we would need to call everybody and work with 1,000 clients blindly.

It is worth the money that you pay for it.

We have a corporate license. The maximum amount number of users changes based on the amount you pay. E.g., with our license, there is a maximum amount of users who can use the solution at the same time (10 users).

The cost is in the thousands of dollars per year.

We have some sites with LogMeIn because it's a matter of politics. Some companies will not allow you to install TeamViewer. They will only allow you to install LogMeIn. Some others will not allow you to install any software like TeamViewer, LogMeIn, or others. Therefore, you need to go buy a remote desktop (RDP).

For sites that do not allow us to install TeamViewer, LogMeIn, or other software, we use Cisco VPN. This requires a lot of software to install. It needs to run a program through it. You need some administrative passwords that need to be typed every time. It's a lot of security. In the beginning, you don't have sound from the other computer, and it's hard to transport files.

While we use LogMeIn and remote desktop, in 99 percent of the cases, we are using TeamViewer. TeamViewer is very easy to deploy when you have a corporate license. It's easy to install. It's upgrading all the time. Everything is perfect, as long as you pay.

Screen resolution is a huge advantage of TeamViewer over LogMeIn. We have clients with multiple screens. For example, if the client has three screens, when you are connected, you will be on one screen and don't know which one. With TeamViewer, you have a selection. You can select moving from screen number one to two or screen two to three. You can also put all the screens into an all in one or see the best fit.

It is easy to use, but LogMeIn is also easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great, amazing tool. All companies needs to have it. It's secure, fast, and reliable.

In the beginning, you need to understand the features, e.g., what a button does. Once you get all of that, it's very easy to use. I'm a heavy consumer of TeamViewer, a sort of professional of it, so I know all the features. But, even for somebody seeing it for the first time, it is very easy to use.