Tektronix Oscilloscopes Review

Robust and reliable, it's a hammer-resistant machine

What is our primary use case?

We're using the Tektronix 8300 for measurements. It's a very good machine. We typically run with a serial DSLR application. The signals we measure are pulse and we are utilizing the full bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

Typically, our customers ask us about the full set of signal integrated characteristics, including TDR measurements and VNA measurements. Tektronix gives us manual measurements and we also do automatic measurements with a robot. We provide 100 percent coverage of PCBs. It helps to make sure our customers are happy.

What is most valuable?

Tektronix is robust and reliable. It's a hammer-resistant machine, a fact which is most important on our manufacturing floor.

The user interface is also good. I'm not in love with it, but it's really good. It's easy to control with our applications.

What needs improvement?

They need to add more memory to this machine because at this time the machine can support random simulation to the power of 15 but realistically, in requests from our customers, we need it to the power of 31. It's typically memory which is the issue.

More than five years.

Technical support is okay. I'm happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

Regarding a learning curve, there isn't one. It's a very good machine with very good support. If we need the support, they're there every time.

In terms of upgradability, again, I would like to see more memory. Right now, the machine has up to 50 gigahertz variance which, in most cases, is okay.

I would rate the product at eight out of ten because it's not too small and works in most cases. The two missing points are for the upgrades I mentioned. And if I give it a ten, they'll sleep quietly.