Tenable Nessus Review

Reduces the amount of time spent on finding vulnerabilities.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for scanning internal networks.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Tenable Nessus for scanning. We find lots of vulnerabilities and then we reduce the time spent on finding inbox vulnerabilities. Of course, Tenable streamlines the process. It has been a positive experience overall.

Tenable can scan for missing patches for the endpoints. We can scan it and then, once we can support any endpoint without patching, we inform our users.

What is most valuable?

We wanted to do a lot of Hardening and we have to make sure that all endpoints are up to the certain Hardening standard and we propose the CIS benchmark to do this. That's why we use Tenable to do scanning frequency and to ensure the quality of the endpoints.

What needs improvement?

This is still a maturing product. Tenable is only a scanner for one ability, while other solutions like Rapid7 have more tools for verification. We still have to manually verify to see if the vulnerability is a false positive or not.

Less than one year.

It is stable. We have not had any major issues. It performs as scheduled and scans as needed.

In terms of scalability, there is an issue with cloud servers. You need the internet bandwidth to do the testing. They consume a lot of bandwidth and they use the cloud scanners for the scanning.

I usually use the dashboard for support. It shows the critical vulnerabilities from low to high. They are very responsive when necessary.

The implementation was straightforward. First, we noticed whether everything was ready, then we got a license key, set up some basic scanning using a default template, and finally, we scheduled time.

The price of Tenable Nessus is much more competitive versus other solutions on the market.

We were manually scanning before using Tenable Nessus. We looked at Rapid7 but we are satisfied with Tenable Nessus.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that people considering this solution should choose the cloud-based solution versus the on-premise version.