Tenable SecurityCenter Review

Lacks a powerful and flexible query engine, not a useful solution for network event investigations

What is our primary use case?

I use SecurityCenter currently to investigate daily network security events from reports I receive. Our network support team uses it to track, manage, and remediate system vulnerabilities. It works well for the latter, not so much for the former.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of vulnerability mitigation, SecurityCenter has worked quite well and is a perfect replacement for GFI LanGuard. Unfortunately, it's also being posed to my team as what we're supposed to use in place of ArcSight Express, which I've worked with for several years now.  SecurityCenter could be much more useful to our agency as a whole if it were configured better, but I'm not sure that the team that directly manages that system knows how to do that, or has the right licenses they need to bring in all of the data my team needs in SecurityCenter to make good use of it.  Basically, it comes down to two teams trying to use the same product for very different purposes, and while one team is pleased with the results, the other (mine) is not.

What is most valuable?

The 'raw syslog' search functions are fairly nice for tracking down debug info from an event, but it's usefulness is extremely low when compared with ArcSight in terms of its usefulness in network event investigations. SecurityCenter's strongest focus seems to be its vulnerability scanning, but I'm told I should be able to use it to replace ArcSight, and from experience with both products, I know that's not the case.  To be honest, if my mission were more aligned with our other team's goals, I might like SecurityCenter a lot more than I do; but as is, it's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

What needs improvement?

Security Center's vulnerability scanners are excellent in terms of compliance reporting, and the dashboards certainly seem to make the less technical of our staff all starry-eyed, but to be honest, I find SecurityCenter to be lacking in too many ways where my usage of it has been concerned.  Dashboards, to me, are much less interesting than a powerful and flexible query engine, and that's an area where I find SecurityCenter most lacking.

Less than one year.

ArcSight Express; my employers sought a less expensive solution. If I'd had any sway on the decision, it wouldn't have happened, or at least, it would have happened differently.  The two products compliment each other well, but separately, they're designed with very different goals in mind.

No, I wasn't given the opportunity. SecurityCenter was brought in, vetted, and implemented by a separate team from the one I work with daily.

What other advice do I have?

Know what you're getting into, and know the difference between security compliance suites and SIEM suites. The two are very different, which is why I'm very unhappy using SecurityCenter, because it's been forced upon me as a replacement for a product that it doesn't even compete with.