Tenable SecurityCenter Review

With the Assurance Report Cards, we can have a quick review of security concerns in a simple glance.

What is our primary use case?

Basically it reviews our threat landscape vulnerability. So, we just want to be sure that we check compliance in terms of our configuration and compliance to our policies. But, the key is to make sure that we are not exposed to non-vulnerabilities that can be exploited. So, it's more of just securing our threat landscape.

How has it helped my organization?

It easily detects issues, and alarms the site.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature is the Assurance Report Card. with the Assurance Report Card, we are able to give our overview about security posters in just a glance. And with a report to cut this we can quickly, our executives can quickly consume that without going into the difficulties of the vulnerability issue.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the configuration of the reports, there's some level of flexibility that we are not able to achieve. In terms of configuring the reports to achieve certain percentages and all of that. So, that's really the main thing I've noticed. But, apart from that, I think it's one of the best vulnerability management tools I've used, in terms of giving us the full visibility into the environment.

There were no crashes, or anything of that sort. The solution is stable. At times, we have had the typical bugs, but it's not something I would say is a big deal. It is maybe once in a quarter--insignificant.

I did not have any issues with scalability. This is because once you scope the main control, the Security Center box, you do proper saving on the main box in terms of storage. Initially, when we did the first installation, we did not properly size our storage. So, we quickly entered issues. But, since it was  Linux box, we were able to reconfigure and make development for additional storage. Once we did that, there has not been anything that tested the scalability. So, when the growth becomes a little high, we just add a box and provide a scanner. Then, you define the territory within which you can scan, because each scanner can be assigned to a given territory in terms of sub-nets, and so on.

The tech support was fairly good enough. I would not rate them as top-notch, but it was fairly good enough. I would give it a rating between 70-80%.

I considered Rapid7 Nexpose and Metasploit in the past.

It was pretty straightforward.

It is slightly more expensive than other solutions in the same sphere.

What other advice do I have?

If you are considering a product like this, you must take into account and properly plan, scope, and scan. You need to know how to properly place your scanners and how to schedule automatic scans. You need to properly schedule your scans, so for example you don't need to scan your data center during that day when your business is most active, you can schedule your scans to run in the middle of the night, when your systems are least active.

If you wake up on LAN, then you can even scan clients during the night. You schedule wake up on LAN, your boxes are woken up on LAN, then the scanning is run, and then the boxes are shut down once the scan is over. So that's proper scoping and planning with this solution.