Data scientists & business analysts need an exploratory environment in which they can create databases without having to go through production processes such as data governance, data architecture and complex ETLing. At eBay, we have built a set of self-service tools that allow analysts to create managed lab environments (called Virtual datamarts), to upload data into those environments, to specify views in the lab environment that access data from production databases and to facilitate data movement within and across systems.
The Teradata Data Lab product has similar capabilities:
1. A team owner can provision a Lab Group for a team. A Lab group has certain configurable properties like size and expiration date.
2. The lab group owner can give permissions to other users to create databases in the lab group. The lab group owner can optionally setup an approval workflow to govern changes occurring within the lab group.
3. Lab group users can import data into the lab environment from various sources.
4. Admins can provide TASM rules to easily govern the lab environment.
5. Users have clear visibility on the usage of the lab group.
6. Data migration tools simplify migrating content from the lab group to production.
Such a managed exploratory environment offers benefits such as reduced cost, greater agility & better system utilization. Consider this product to provide more agility and self-service to your Data scientists and Business analysts.