Teradata Review

Good data warehousing, scalable, and offers good functionality

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The loading time of the solution is quite good.

What really impressed me is their approach to design the data warehouse. It's very different from other solutions. They have their own methodologies for doing things, and they can come up with a very solid and good design that can stand the test of time.

The functionality of the solution is excellent.

The solution can scale.

It's quite a stable product.

On the product side, I don't think anyone can actually beat them with data warehousing.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure about the unstructured data management capabilities. It could be improved.

They should, I think, try to do more of this open-source initiative to encourage more people to use it. Otherwise, it's my opinion that they might lose our business in the long run.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

As one of the top companies in the world, the solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good.

Product-wise the scalability and usability, is all excellent. They are the top players in this with their new database. The cloud helps make it so scalable. We're catching up and starting to scale, however, we aren't there yet.

I don't recall if the solution had a complex or straightforward setup. I wasn't part of the process.

I'm not sure if we would want to keep paying for the solution. They should make some of the software a community edition or something like that to encourage more people to use it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution.

After looking at the recent price drops, they need to offer very good discounts for people that bought it. The value proposition is actually quite good compared to many years ago. For most of the enterprises out there, they're focusing mainly on structure data. This solution ticks that box.

As long as they can control the price incrementally in the future, I think they're a very good strong platform.

I'd rate this product in terms of its functionality, stability, and scalability, as almost perfect. It's a nine out of ten. I don't think there's anything to complain about. It's only the price that's a sticking point for us.

More Teradata reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Teradata, Oracle, Micro Focus and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.