Teradata Review
Working with Teradata, Cognos and Informatica is a positive combination of good tools but implementation can be complex

I have been using Teradata and Cognos for the past 8 years and Informatica ETL tool for 1 year. I have found that the analytical CRM functionalities from Teradata using Teradata database has been the most valuable feature of this product. It has helped the way my organization functions in that we build a data warehouse to have a single version of the truth with all the needed aggregations, and all the analytical reports are now using this database which leads to consistent data. Additionally, all the analytical reports are now generated using Cognos BI tool which is very powerful and the business powerful users can build their own analytical reports.

My company had previously used a different solution before Informatica and we are still in the transition phase, ETL from data stage. Before choosing this product we evaluated Informatica, Oracle ODI and our current ETL data stage. We switched because Informatica is better in terms of tool, support, and at the same time, because we bought Informatica data quality tool for the data governance dept after vendor selection process. During the deployment of Informatica ETL there were some performance issues but they were solved.

Regarding the level of technical support, I would say that for Teradata it is average, for Cognos and Informatica it is good. The initial set up for Teradata was a little bit complex due to some specific applications used in my country while for Cognos, it was straightforward. For Informatica, the initial set up was a little bit complex due to the different environment where the tool has to be implemented. We always implemented in-house but in collaboration with a vendor team and found that their level of expertise was good. My advice to others concerning Teradata, it is a powerful product to build a data warehouse in the organization, but take into consideration that Teradata is using its own hardware to have a good performance. I have found that Informatica’s data quality is the best tool to profile, clean and monitor the data.

1 visitor found this review helpful