TestRail by Gurock Review

Good management from the testing perspective, but needs a lot of improvements from the quality assurance perspective

What is our primary use case?

We use it for test case repository and test management. My primary role is quality assurance. I've got one developer who looks at the SQL, upgrades, and a few other things. I do the customization, integration, and normal administration for granting access. I also provide user support and help users with training, guidance, demos, etc. I handle 80% work, and the developer handles the remaining 20% of work on this solution.

What is most valuable?

From a testing perspective, the management is awesome. I am able to do testing and then add the reporting and the evidence.

It is fair in terms of the price that you're paying. You get what you're paying for.

What needs improvement?

I do see room for lots of improvement in it. In terms of usability, duplication with test cases and constant creation of projects isn't easy. There is also too much API integration into automation tools, which is not there in ALM with UFT.

Instead of setting it up as a project and using it, we set it up as a system for usability. It also lacks in the traceability aspect. For traceability, you need to use the JIRA plugin and drag traceability on JIRA, but the functionality is still quite limited.

The biggest gap is mainframe testing. It would be good if I could start with mainframe testing. Manual granting of access is another issue. There is no API that I could use with another system where it is automated. There is an API for loading somebody to a project but not for adding to the application.

I have been using TestRail for two years.

I have not contacted technical support.

I learned to work with this solution, but if I had to choose a solution, it wouldn't be TestRail.
I also use ALM, and it is my preferred tool. Tosca also has the same quality level as ALM.

Its price is definitely not more. If they introduce automation, they can charge more.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. My primary role is quality assurance. From a quality assurance perspective, there are too many limitations. There is too much integration or too many APIs that need to be written constantly. It doesn't actually give you traceability from the requirements or systems perspective. If I wanted to run automation for coverage of a system, TestRail doesn't give me that.

I would rate TestRail a five out of ten.

More TestRail by Gurock reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, SmartBear, Hiptest and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.