TestRail by Gurock Review

Gives the tester the ability to compare calculated times to actual times it takes for a test case to run

What is most valuable?

The ability to time test runs gives the tester the ability to compare calculated times to actual times it takes for a test case to run. This is the advantage over the other test management tool that we have used. Also, I liked the fact that TestRail's test cases could be linked to JIRA tickets.

How has it helped my organization?

Most significantly, I found it was easy to organize test cases, and that the application did not time out while I was in the middle of writing a test case.

What needs improvement?

I found it difficult to link requirements to test cases, if I remember correctly. Also, it would be nice to have a description section when creating the test scenario itself so I can indicate what the configuration should be. I was able to do this with the old tool, and I also could link requirements to test scenarios and test cases in the old tool.

I have probably used it for three months.

I was not the point person.

Well, I really didn't want to switch, but the rest of the team did not want to go through the exercise of learning how to configure the application for our needs.

Also, the old application was unreliable. For example, I would be in the middle of writing a test case, and before I had a chance to save the test case, I would find myself back on the previous page where test scenarios are stored. When I went back into the test scenario to continue working on the test case, all the information that I had previously entered would be lost. Thus, I would have to start all over again.

I wasn't involved in the setup. I QA'd the app, and indicated to the administrator what I desired.

I hear that the cost is a bit pricey. My advice to others is to shop around for the best deal. Some options out there are free in cyberspace.

What other advice do I have?

Use the product to its fullest during the trial period, and if you need an extension on your trial time, most honest companies will oblige you with an extension.