TestRail by Gurock Review

Integrates easily to automation systems and most common bug tracking systems, but provides templates which are not well adapted and introduces new ones that are rather complex

What is most valuable?

The database structure and exploration tool. The API to support integration of the homemade automated testing tool.

How has it helped my organization?

This product completes our production line based on continuous integration (using Jenkins) by acquiring all tests results, manual and fully automated into a single platform, which is connected with our bug reporting system (Trac). It offers a full view of test campaigns for each product/version we develop.

What needs improvement?

The TestRail API to integrate reporting of automated tests is complete, but requires many requests to identify the appropriate entry.

The main room for improvement is in the reporting: It provides templates which are not well adapted and introduces new ones that are rather complex.

Four months.

No issues so far.

With a few users only, but already thousands of items in the DB, we have no issues so far.

Quite good and fast for my interactions with them.

I did not manage it myself, but it seemed straightforward (using the officially supported Linux version).

Pricing for small teams seems correct with respect to competitors.

JIRA/Enterprise Tester: Felt less user-friendly and more complex to start with. Also, it was less adapted for coupling with a homemade automation testing tool.

What other advice do I have?

TestRail is a very user-friendly product to manage test cases. It integrates easily to automation systems and most common bug tracking systems.

It is not the Holy Grail, but has many interesting, useful features.