TestRail by Gurock Review

Enables our global team to more easily create, manage, and monitor test execution

What is most valuable?

1. Ability to import test scenarios (CSV).
  2. Redmine integration and ability to link Redmine issues to test cases.
  3. Network deployment. Need accessibility world wide.
  4. Report generation capability.
  5. LDAP authentication.
  6. Ability to control and restrict user IDs.
  7. File attached upload capability.
  8. Ability to note when the Blocking issue has been placed in Verify state (or Closed) and flag the Execution records for re-test.
  9. Ability to note when the failing issue has been closed and move the execution record to some re-test phase.
  10. Reliable and stable. It is important that TestRail be up and running 24/7 as we have users around the world using it.
  11. Easy to upgrade and maintain.
  12. Customer support.

How has it helped my organization?

TestRail has made it possible for our large team around the globe to more easily create, manage, and monitor test execution. It has also provided valuable report information used for project management.

What needs improvement?

There are a number of improvements that have been requested. While I don't have a list of these requests available, many can be found on Gurock's forum.

Four years.

Very good.

Previously we used a customized spreadsheet tool.

Setup was pretty straightforward. Creating our own customized reports was more complex. It required writing PHP code and they are time consuming to maintain.

Negotiate the best deal you can.

TestLodge, Klaros-TestManagement, PractiTest, Test Collab.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend researching all available products and evaluate the top three that meet your needs. There may be better products out there today. Carefully choose the tool that best meets your requirements. It is a huge investment in time and effort and very difficult to change tools once a decision has been made.