TFS Review

Intuitive and solid, with very good branching and labelling features

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for source control and we use code to connect to TFS as well. It's all generated and the normal process for a developer; we take the latest coding, and whenever there is a build required, we get the latest from other developers and carry out the build. We also do branching and leveling. I'm a solution architect and our company has a partnership with Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The features such as branching and labelling are very good because they actually help you create a master branch which is a running branch. You can then have other branches like staging correction. I also like the user interface, it's intuitive and easy to use and, most importantly, you can access it from the browser.

What needs improvement?

When you are trying to connect from Visual Studio code to TFS the integration isn't so easy and I think that could be improved. There's one feature we'd really like to see. If I want to scan through how many files have checked out by name, there are no extensions or plugins available for us to readily get the information from TFS because it's being managed by someone else. As a development partner, we're dependent on them for the details and our preference would be to have the ability to do that ourselves.

I've used multiple versions of TFS over the past decade.

The scalability of the solution is good. There are 20 developers in my specific project who use TFS for storing the code repository. We work on multiple projects so there can be anywhere up to 25 people in the company using the product at any one time. It's a development tool so we use it on a daily basis as a centralized code repository.

The initial setup is quite simple. I found information from the Azure DevOps portal and they have a lot of videos.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good tool for core depository, but there are a lot of thing in TFS you can do: You can automate the entire update process. You can run your sprint and everything, it's a good option enterprise wise. Nowadays everything has DevOps so it's a good thing to use.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More TFS reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.