TFS Review

An easy initial setup with good stability and very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are using the core repository for the complete development life cycle.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps with pretty much all aspects of the development cycle. This includes using it for QA, testing, development, and the release. It's useful for every aspect of the development cycle.

The initial setup is fairly easy.

What needs improvement?

The continuous integration and continuous delivery should begin with DSS. It doesn't right now. That needs to be changed.

The phased release process could be better. Instead of shelving the call and unshelving the call, it should be done in phases. In an updated version, this should be something they adjust. It needs a more effective release process.

There should be management of the project built-in.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

The stability of the solution is good. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It works. It's good. We haven't had any issues when it comes to stability.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand outwards and grow they should be able to fairly easily. We've had not trouble with that aspect of the solution.

We don't have technical support for this solution, therefore I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

We are still using TFS, however, we're considering switching to Microsoft Azure DevOps.

The initial setup is not complex. It is very much straightforward. It shouldn't give an organization too many problems.

I didn't deploy this solution, so I can't speak to how long it actually took to do so.

We had the help of consultants from Microsoft. The implementation was five years ago, so I can't recall too many details, however, I believe we were pleased with their work.

What other advice do I have?

Overall the solution is good. It's scalable and stable and has been working well for us. Of course, the phased release could be smoother, and it's something they need to improve upon.

I'd recommend this solution, even though we do plan to move to Microsoft Azure DevOps.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

2015
More TFS reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.