TFS Review

Reliable, scalable, easy to use queries, and proper traceability

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for test management. Our entire project management is done through TFS.

We have our test cases uploaded, and we use it for user story tracking and progress tracking.

TFS is on our client's VMs.

What is most valuable?

What I like is the backlog management, as it is very easy to track at the feature level and move onto the big level. It offers proper traceability for this and the features.

As far as queries are concerned, creating, grading, or customizing the queries as a primary requirement is very easy to do. It's a user-friendly interface when working with queries.

What needs improvement?

TFS has to be more user-friendly. We could have some friendly dashboards, which I feel is missing here, where I can easily plug in the dashboard and use it.

Part of the test case upload is there, but it's an addon that is not being used at this time.

Creating dashboards is complicated. The dashboard and the customization of dashboards is an area they have to work on. It needs to be improved.

I would like to see improved dashboards with easy plug and play. There should be multiple templates that would be easily and readily available where I can track and create my view.

This is what I feel is missing or needs improvement.

I have been working with TFS for three years.

We are working with an up-to-date version.

TFS is a stable solution.

TFS is a scalable model. If I have to look into large projects, we have multiple agile teams having different backlogs. Having a view on this is rather scalable.

We have approximately 28 users for this current project, and we are using it on a daily basis.

We plan to keep using TFS.

I have not had any instances where I needed to contact the technical support team.

It goes back to our install team and they address the issues.

Previously, I was working with Jira and QC.

The change to TFS was because our client moved onto to TFS.

TFS is more stable and more scalable. We handling multiple projects using TFS. Usability is good and it's very easy for me to have traceability with a view on everything.

The setup is done by our customer's IT team.

In our case, it's a matter of plug and play.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, I would say that TFS is more supportive of a large enterprise.

There is a lot of information available online.

The suitability of TFS depends on the requirements of the customer. If it is for Test Management, I would say that TFS is a product that they should consider if it's a large organization that has multiple or multi-thread implementations.

Overall, I would say it's fine and I would recommend it.

I would rate TFS and eight out of ten.

More TFS reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.