TFS Review

It has built-in validation for most implementation steps, however it needs change control for build definitions.

What is most valuable?

• Source code management
  • Branch/merge tools
  • Build capabilities
  • Work item tracking
  • Scrum board management

How has it helped my organization?

We've reduced production deployment rollbacks 100%.

What needs improvement?

Build definition management - there needs to be change control for build definitions

I've used it for 10 years.

It's a long upgrade process, but works fine.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

8/10

8/10

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward. It's mostly wizard-driven, with plenty of built-in validation for most steps.

Virtually immeasurable. The low cost of the product is nothing compared to the productivity improvements it brings.

Size accordingly. Not every shop needs every feature.

Size accordingly. Not every shop needs every feature.

What other advice do I have?

Recognize the fact that TFS isn't just a source code management tool. It's an application lifecycle management tool that covers all facets of software project management as well as development, deployment, and production support.

1 Comment

author avatarChaminda Chandrasekara

vNext Builds with TFS 2015 you can view the build definition change history. Even compare versions is possible. Rollback to previous version will be available in near future it seems (https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2037625-provide-a-way-to-version-control-build-definitions).