TFS Review

It's replaced a number of separate source control, work items, and build solutions that were stretched to their limits. The initial setup, however, was quite complex.

Valuable Features

The full ALM experience that means you can have all your information in one place. For example having everything linked together – your build linked to changes in source control which link to the work items the prompted the changes in the first place, linked to the tests that were run. This is essential when you work in an industry which requires traceability. However, all this doesn’t detract from the fact that TFS supports and encourages agile ways of working.

The level of customisation on TFS allows you to change any parts of the process to suit any organisation’s need.

Improvements to My Organization

TFS replaced a number of separate source control, work item and build solutions that were stretched to their limits, since adopting TFS we have been able to scale the development department without any limits from our tooling.

TFS has aided our agile transformation by providing digital Kanban boards that have enabled teams to be more productive when working remotely from one another.

Room for Improvement

I have a list things on the Visual Studio uservoice page, but none of them are major. I’m expecting most of the issues we have to the moment to be resolved in the 2015 lifecycle.

Use of Solution

I've been using TFS for five years.

No issues encountered.

I’ve never contacted the official support channels, but I have received support via blog posts and e-mailing some of the public facing people and each time the responses have been excellent. I’ve been quickly put in touch with developers who are experts in the field and had my questions answered or my problem resolved. I have even helped to diagnose and log a bug against TFS that Microsoft were struggling with in VSOnline.

The decision was not mine, but it was based on having a complete ALM solution instead of just a bunch of systems thrown together.

Setting up TFS 2010 was quite complex, as it is an enterprise product, but nothing too complicated, just a lot of reading to make sure all the parts worked. SharePoint was hard to configure, but we no longer integrate them.