TFS Review

What is most valuable?

Work item management integration with source control. I value it as the most valuable feature since it provides seamless integration with your TFS source control which makes it easy to drill down the requirements from the source control, and vice versa.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved a lot over the years with newer versions, Build is one such area which has been significantly simplified, making it very easy for the users to use than the previous XAML and pre TFS 2010 build infrastructure.

Also, the introduction of Release Management has made TFS a complete ALM tool.

What needs improvement?

I think the integration with SharePoint. Microsoft should discontinue the use of SharePoint as I don’t really see any value add to TFS, document management features can be included in TFS web portal itself, if required!

11+ years, using TFS right from the first version (TFS 2005).

I have rarely faced any stability issues, except for some minor notification/alerts issues, etc., which can be easily ignored, as Microsoft is quick to provide fixes for them as well as there are quarterly updates for TFS.

The technical support has always been up to the mark in my case. Also, there are multiple posts online which help you in difficult times.

Yes, I previously used VSS, but since it was just a source control solution, I moved to TFS, which offered much more features in one package.

The previous version of TFS (TFS 2005) were a bit messy during setup due to the different installers required for different components, but with newer versions the installation and setup has been simplified to a great extent.

Yes, the pricing and licensing for TFS is on the higher side, but if you intend to use the tool as a complete ALM tool, it will reduce your costs in the long run.

As of now, there are no products in market which you can compare with TFS which provides you complete integration with different components required in ALM hemisphere, I have tried various Open Source tools, but none of them can match the functionality TFS provides. They are GIT, JIRA, Octopus Deploy, etc.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a complete ALM tool for Microsoft applications and have the budget, please go ahead with TFS.