TFS Review

Project Management And Test Management Can Be Done Together In One Tool

What is most valuable?

I like its MTM (Microsoft Test Manager) section which gives us options to create various test plans and add test cases into it. Once the tests are run or tested, testers can give results. For higher managers, it is really helpful to look at its graph and figure out what is its status.

Another option that I like is linking with other works. Bugs can be associated with user story, test case, etc. This helps us to figure out which work item it is related to.

How has it helped my organization?

This really helps in planning our Regression and Functional tests as we create plan and test cases in it. It is easy for higher officials to get an overview of the testing part. Once the team is familiar with it, it’s really easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

It is completely different than other test management tools. I would highly recommend giving training and brainstorming sessions for the employees before anybody starts to use it in an organization. Otherwise, it is hard for them to work with it. In my current company, I face that situation. They introduced this tool without providing them any training or brainstorming sessions and many of them are not able to use it properly. It creates a lot of confusion. TFS and MTM have their own style of working and they are different from other tools like Jira or TestRail, which are simpler and easy to use.

I have used this product from 2015 onward. I have used its other version TFS 2013.

The product is stable. I have never had any stability issues.

I never asked for technical help. So, I don’t know.

I have worked with Jira and TestRail as part of a different project. They are simpler than TFS. It is really easy to follow these other tools, but TFS has more features and its own unique way of functioning. JIRA has no facility to create test cases, but TFS has it. TestRail is good for writing test cases mostly; project management techniques are more in TFS and MTM. In short, MTM and TFS have more functions. Project management and test management can be done together in one tool.

I have never set it up in an organization. I have just used it. It was really tough for me at the start to use. I never had any experience with it before. I learned by myself looking at YouTube videos. Best bet would be to get an introduction, a brainstorming session, and some follow-up session for the beginners.

I am not sure about pricing. I never got a chance to purchase it.

I never purchased it. No comments on this.

What other advice do I have?

Since I have worked with Jira and TestRail as part of test management, I would strongly suggest giving training to your employees before implementing them. TFS is way different from other tools; its working style is also different. Unless, they get introduced to it, you won’t be able to attain its merits. TFS is really worth it if we can use its advanced features. In order to get that kind of understanding, a training session and follow-up sessions once a while are essential. Learning TFS is like getting familiar with a brand new tool. That kind of awareness is needed from both the employees and higher officials.

1 visitor found this review helpful