TFS Review

Supports Multiple Code Repositories But Needs Improvement On Its Agile Functionality

What is most valuable?

TFS can support multiple code repositories (example: Git, TFS, CVS, etc.) via plugins, which is really a nice feature.

How has it helped my organization?

As I mentioned, it supports multiple code repositories. You can also build CI/CDs out of it. You can instruct TFS to build your .jar, .war, and .ear files and deploy them to to certain environments based on your configuration. So you don’t have explicitly maintain another code repository and CI/CD tools for your continuous integration/build purpose. This also automatically reduces DevOp burden and the number of people maintaining that DevOp work.

What needs improvement?

It needs huge improvement on its Agile functionality.

For more than a year, until I left the company.

We had our own support member (so I can't rate their support).

Yes, I used to use VersionOne, HP AGM, and JIRA to track and monitor Agile practice in my previous companies. At Lennox they had only one option, TFS.

I wasn’t involved in this process.

I wasn’t involved in discussions of pricing or licensing for TFS at Lennox.

As far as I‘m aware, the company decided to use TFS without evaluating other options.

What other advice do I have?

There are better tools for Agile and CI/CD in the market. TFS may be good for code repository purposes; however, it's not the best for Agile practice.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Manager, Live Production at a software R&D company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

I agree!