TFS Review

Great product with capabilities for SCM, ALM and issue tracking

What is most valuable?

Source Code Management: TFS has both Git repository management as well as a TSVS Repository. It is the only source code management tool which supports both repository types and also supports on-premise installation. TFS also has ALM capabilities where business users can enter user stories, and the QA team can track test scripts and issues, where stakeholders can view project statuses effectively.

It is great product with capabilities for SCM, ALM and issue tracking.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed project teams to communicate, collaborate and track tasks, stories, test cases, issues, and defects at a single location (using one tool).

What needs improvement?

Adding more canned reports to allow querying and reporting data export to Excel etc., which would help management with their reports.

Two years.

No issues have been noticed in stability.

No issues have been noticed in scalability.

Microsoft has good expertise in this product. Sometimes, it takes longer to get the correct resource.

Not applicable.

The TFS installation was easy. We had issues moving TFS from the development domain to the production domain. The domain has challenges as users from development domain have different signatures in production. Microsoft helped in resolving these issues.

Very straightforward pricing. We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, where the majority of the product is covered. One good thing is the stakeholder license, which is free for business users. Hence, the cost of the license for only the QA and Development team is around $5.

There is no single product that has both SCM and ALM integrated which can enable us to quickly onboard projects. We use JIRA for certain areas in our business, with GitHub. Great product as well, however we have had some difficulties in configuring workflows.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest giving the product a try first. Reading too much on paper does not tell you the entire story of the product. It is really good to use it if you want to combine both SCM and ALM.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Manager, Live Production at a software R&D company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Yup! Agreed!