TFS Review

Facilitates team collaboration and integrates well with other tools

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for corporate internal SW development of small business applications manly in .NET.

I am the administrator and configurator of TFS Servers and other DevOps related tools (Jenkins, Ansible, Nexus, SonarQube). I create the projects and configure the full life-cycle, with a deployment model mainly on-premises for now.

How has it helped my organization?

Better team collaboration and Issue tracking.

What is most valuable?

I like the build management features, the integration with Jenkins and many other tools.

The team rooms for team collaboration, and issuing the backtracking are very valuable features.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas that could be improved is to have an effective full life-cycle management.

For example, when the developing team has an issue with a bug, they can relate and tag sources and builds to that bug, but after that, it's not easy to track if those builds where in fact deployed.

In the next release, I would l like to see a modern solution with a full integration of the real life-cycle.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

This solution is stable.

This solution has some scalability.

We have contacted technical support (local Microsoft) a couple of times I would rate them a four out of five or a nine out of ten. They are good and I am satisfied with the help that I have received from them.

Previously we used manily another solution (Serena Dimensions CM). But specially Java developers hated it, so we start to migrate to GIT and Jenkins for them, while .NET developers prefer to use TFS.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did have some issues, speacilly in the use of the databases but due to our customer internal policies, who were old fashioned and gave us some problems, but we can't blame the software for that.

TFS licencing can be confusing, we have to read it well and have a good user management strategy and control.

We evaluated modern versions of Microfocus and SVN, we still have Dimensions CM but will be discontinuing it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I'm a Outsourcing professional managing a customer IT infrastructures.