Thycotic Secret Server Review

It performs its basic use case with no downtime but its API is no good

What is our primary use case?

The most common use case will be just for keeping personal passwords. There are other things that we use if for, but that is the most common use case.

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage personal passwords is what it was built for and that is what makes it most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The main part of the product that could be improved is the API (Application Programming Interface). The Thycotic API is not very good.

I have been using Thycotic Secret Server for a couple of years. It could be as many as four.

I guess this should be considered a stable solution. There has been no downtime this year.

There are about 1200 users that are using this product at our organization. We are going to continue to use it at least for a while, but we are looking for some alternative solutions because it is not that good and there are better products available that can do what we need better. It seems to be able to scale with our user base.

I do not have any experience with technical support because I am not the person managing the product. We do have an internal IT crew that takes care of the application and they would be the ones who would be in contact with technical support if it were necessary.

When I came to this company, Secret Server was already in place. I do not know if the company may have had something in place before this. There is a consensus at the corporate level that we will continue using Thycotic Secret Server.

I do not think it is particularly straightforward if you do anything more than install it and turn it on. I do not have any feedback on the process of the installation itself because I did not install this product. as a DevOps, I find that modification is not straightforward.

I believe it was implemented in house by the team. We have maybe two people on staff who take care of this application.

I think that Secret Server is expensive when I compare the cost to some alternatives. There are different plans and additional licensing costs that can be added on, but I do not know the details exactly within our company.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this product. I would not because the basic functionality is okay, but we need some API access to use KPI (Key Performance Indicator) properly. We also need to automate some stuff using this secure vault. Attempting to do that is almost impossible because of the low quality of the API.

Me, speaking as a lead DevOps, I would not recommend it for this office. It is not the best choice for what we need.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product differently depending on what level or type of user is using the product. For the DevOps purposes, my rating would be zero. Each year it is less competitive and it can not be justified for the price.

In general, for end-users, I do not know. They are not exposed to the development end so I think they might give it a five-out-of-ten.

More Thycotic Secret Server reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Thycotic Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.