Thycotic Secret Server Review

Monolithic software that is easy to use but the documentation is insufficient

What is our primary use case?

I'm a director/engineer and we partnered with the company. Our primary use case was for a project that we followed from an administrator point of view, not the end-user point of view. My responsibility was to manage the migration-related to the project, installing and configuring the infrastructure, creating policies and so on. Technically speaking, it was at a high level. All of my clients are enterprise companies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects were its ease of use because the software is monolithic, so you only have to install the web services and then there's a database, so it's very easy to use and to configure. There are no further modules so installation is simple as is configuration. There are a lot of features out of the box. That was an interesting aspect.

What needs improvement?

I think the services could be improved by making it more 'friendly.' Documentation could be improved if they were to include more about connectors. Technically speaking, and in comparison to other software such as CyberArk, the documentation was not enough. CyberArk has extensive documentation and I believe Thycotic doesn't have enough.

The same applies for additional features - improved documentation in the next release would be helpful.

I've used the product for five months.

It's a very stable solution.

It's very easy to scale the solution because it's a web server. If you want to install more than one server then you just have to add the additional server to the database. So it's very, very easy.

Technical support is fine but as I said, it could be a little more friendly.

There is a lot of risk management software around. I decided to switch to Thycotic, first of all, because we were starting a new project and it was a challenge for me and a new software I wanted to try. That was the main reason for the move.

Being a web server, the initial setup is very straightforward and easy to understand. It's one of the differences between Thycotic and CyberArk. CyberArk requires some study, it's a modular solution.

I'm a technicial person so I don't know about setup costs.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would recommend the product. It's very good and is cheaper than CyberArk. It's something that a team leader or project manager would take into consideration because even the cost of the license is something to keep in mind when planning a project. It really depends on the company's requirements.

10.3 and 10.6
More Thycotic Secret Server reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Thycotic Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.