Thycotic Secret Server Review

Good user interface and session monitoring and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for PRAM management, privileged access management, and other similar tasks as well. We submit credentials and replicate and post them directly behind the scenes. There's also some session monitoring and issue recording, etc. that we handle.

What is most valuable?

The session monitoring and session recording aspects of the solution are valuable to us. The fact that, as a support, you can actually monitor sessions on the fly is really helpful. A lot of sessions are live. Therefore, if anything happens within the session, there is an alert, and the security can terminate the session.

The fact that you can go back to any other session according to user or sequence, is quite useful. You can get a nice audit of the recording sessions. It's quite deep and quite useful.

Users are able to whitelist commands. It's very helpful.

The solution provides security for certain tasks as well. There's also regression on items like passwords.

The user interface is quite good. It's very straightforward.

The reporting is very powerful.

What needs improvement?

The solution is very good at improving based on customer feedback. If, for example, a customer asks for updated functionality, the next version will likely fit the requirements or requests. They're very responsive in that sense.

There could be tweaks here and there. For example, instead of going to one main function to do this and another main function to do that, the solution could remap the user interface so that a person only has to go through one function. The way that function branches off should make a bit more sense.

I'd like to see more automation on parts of the solution that cover APIs and disk space. There should be more automation in terms of what's out-of-the-box. It would help some customers as not all of them are knowledgable and well-skilled. It would make it easier for the layman.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is pretty stable.

The solution is highly scalable. The architectural deployment is quite flexible. You can deploy it on multiple sites, you can do your load balancing, you can do your SQL storing, etc. It gives you various architectural deployment and flexibility options. It's very powerful.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past and they've been very helpful. We've been satisfied with their level of support.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is my first foray into PRAM management and enterprise solutions.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We didn't find it to be overly complex in any way.

I did look at a few other companies and compared a few different features before choosing this solution. I looked at FireEye, BeyondTrust, and CyberArk.

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of hands-on experience with the solution and I present it to customers and do all the POCs for them.

I'd recommend the solution and advise others to look at cloud options, as most companies are moving to the cloud anyway right now. It's flexible, so users can deploy it both on-prem or on the cloud. There are lots of great custom features and network monitoring capabilities.

You can also patch the privileged behavior and it will, on the fly, give you nice digital printouts with privileged behavior also. If your system admin or one of your admins suddenly acts strangely, even at 2 AM on a Sunday, it will flag that because that's not normal behavior. That's due to the fact it has a lot of powerful machine learning built into the solution as well.

The endpoint application control of the privileged manager is powerful because of the authorizations, etc. The privileged manager can ensure that you actually are able to manage everything very well - everything from user privileges to admin. You can even escalate items easily.

I'd rate it nine out of ten, just because there's always room for improvement. However, for my purposes, it's a fantastic solution.