Thycotic Secret Server Review

Excellent access management that can serve very large networks

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing access for user groups and individuals in a very large environment.

What is most valuable?

One of the best things about Thycotic is that it is very easy-to-use. It is logical, it has well-designed screens and a nice GUI interface. It has good performance and is generally a pleasure to operate.

What needs improvement?

If you look at Thycotic, it is a great product that has pretty much all the same features as CyberArk — which will be replacing it. There is not much difference between the two. We will be switching away from using Thycotic, however, before the end of the year.

The catalyst for the change was a formal comparison of the two products that we did using each to evaluate how we would use it in solving actual use case issues. In the presentation of the scoring over specific categories, CyberArk had slightly better professional service marks and the same price. Besides that, the two products were neck-and-neck and almost identical in the scoring. CyberArk just came out just a little bit better than Thycotic in the details, and not by much at all. Be that as it may, the formal comparison is the reason for the change.

Thycotic has been in use in our Healthcare system for four years.

Thycotic is a rock-solid product. Our organization never had any issues with it.

If you consider the shere physical size of the Healthcare environment, you can tell from that just how scalable the product is. Not every product can handle 55,000 network elements and 15,000 servers.

The technical support for Thycotic is very good as might be expected. The members of the support team that I have been in contact with are very much on the ball. Thycotic has good a service staff.

This will be the last year Thycotic will be in operation at Healthcare in Norway because it will be replaced by CyberArk at some time this year.

I think there are some very small things in Thycotic which are a little harder to do, and that is only because the Healthcare environment is so large. Healthcare has 55,000 network elements and 15,000 servers. One of the few things that CyberArk does better than Thycotic is to more neatly group IT assets in smaller bundles using a 'safe' that could be assigned to groups or teams for access. By comparison, Thycotic — at least in the versions leading up to the competition — lists all the assets at one time, no matter how many there are. When there are lists which are 15,000 elements long, it is harder to locate items and divvy up the work. So it was some slight usability things like this that really made the difference in the outcome of our comparison.

While this organizational feature in Thycotic was not so good, some other parts of the user interface that are included in it are really fabulous. Thycotic is more intuitive and it is more logical in many ways than CyberArk. So I really like the Thycotic product. But for this very large environment, it turned just to be slightly less applicable to our situation than its competition.

As I probably indicate from my answer, if it was not for the fact that we did a formal comparison and scoring of the products — following the objective measures that we have to follow when we buy things in the public — we probably would have done well just keeping Thycotic. But when you follow the Government process and the idea is to be absolutely impartial, then the way the scoring is set up is the way it goes.

I think the pricing of Thycotic and CyberArk products are very similar.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Thycotic as probably a nine. That is only because I have to rank them slightly lower after we decided to make the switch to CyberArk, and replacing a product that is a ten would not make a lot of sense. So a nine-out-of-ten it is.

Thycotic is a product that is so friendly that it can be used by nearly anyone and everyone, and that is a good place to be. As for the limitations in a very large environment, Thycotic could invest in making changes in the product to handle structuring in a segmented way. It would be costly for Thycotic to make that investment, but for Healthcare as a user group, that would have been the difference. We have already bought another product, so we are not going to change our minds again, but it may be worth considering for the team at Thycotic.

I would probably recommend Thycotic for most businesses because it is simpler and easier to deal with than CyberArk. So really, I would recommend it to all businesses except for the extremely large ones.

More Thycotic Secret Server reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Thycotic Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.