TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Review

Enables users to create workflows and has good performance and scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to provide a BPM for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been working a lot on TIBCO products, including this solution. We have a team of thirty to forty people working exclusively on TIBCO and have a dedicated unit with revenue targets set specifically for this.

This solution, as well as other products from TIBCO, are helping us grow.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its flexibility, where it allows the users to create workflows. In terms of scalability and performance, it is also very good.

What needs improvement?

In the configuration, where we need to customize, it takes more time that we expect it to, ideally. We have found workarounds for some of the issues, and we have given feedback on these things directly to TIBCO.

The integration can be more user-friendly.

Four years.

The stability of this solution is excellent. I would give it nine out of ten.

The scalability is very good. That is one of the strongest points of TIBCO and I'm quite satisfied with the scalability.

We have approximately fifteen customers, but of course, that would mean many more users. We focus on TIBCO, but there is a lot of competition from the other product vendors. This makes it a challenge to increase our usage of this solution. That said, we have plans to reach out to a lot more new customers.

As TIBCO releases products or a new version of a product, we start using them as we go around to some of the customers that we are involved with.

The technical support for this solution is very good. Whenever we are stuck with any kind of technical issue, we reach out to TIBCO and get very good technical support from them.

The TIBCO solution is not the only one that has been used in my organization, but this is the only one that I have worked on personally.

The initial setup is literally straightforward and we did not have too many issues with it.

The typical implementation strategy depends on the volume of the business, the number of transactions, and the size of the customer. Typically it takes six to eight months for us to complete an end-to-end implementation cycle for a medium to large sized customer.

In the typical deployment team, we need ten to twelve people for each customer. Some of the staff are developers, but you need a core architect. It is the role of the architect to visualize the solution and create the architecture. Once we have the architect and a couple of leads, the rest are the developers who can do the actual implementation. You also need an administrator, so there are four different roles involved in the implementation.

We are the ones who handle the integration of this product, and we don't normally have to depend on anybody else. Sometimes, TIBCO themselves will assist us, but otherwise, we do it ourselves and don't usually have any issues.

I would consider all of the revenue that we get from TIBCO to be ROI. We do invest resources to get them trained on various TIBCO products. At the end of the day, we are using them to implement solutions for different customers, and we get that revenue. It is approximately three to four million per year.

When it comes to cost, TIBCO is much more competitive than a product like Pega.

Our licensing cost is in the area of half a million, annually. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

From a BPM perspective, we did evaluate other products. Part of our evaluation included the figures for pricing, and other solutions are a lot more expensive. This is one of the reasons that our customers are reluctant to go with Pega.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to evaluate all of the competing products, which is something that we can help with. There should always be a good rationale behind the choice for a particular product.