TIBCO BusinessWorks Review

Ease-of-use and simplified deployment makes projects fluid

What is our primary use case?

We using TIBCO BusinessWorks 5 and the container edition to work with integrations.

What is most valuable?

It is a cloud product. The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and deployment.

What needs improvement?

I think TIBCO needs to do a lot in terms of making it a first-class cloud solution. Because the issues that we are facing have to do with the container-based image. It is so big that it makes it very difficult to autoscale.

They need to do a few things. First, they need to make it smaller, and also to make it really a true cloud citizen. Because if you compare with other solutions, TIBCO is playing catch up in terms of cloud adoption.

I just received a new version the other day and they have included quite a lot of changes. It is impossible to tell what they have already taken care of. But I have experienced that there are some security vulnerabilities that they need to fix on the Docker image. I do not have the specific details because we have not totally isolated the problem, but there are some vulnerabilities and those are apparent in the TIBCO container edition.

I have been using TIBCO (The Information Bus Company) Businessworks for the last seven years.

I think TIBCO is relatively stable. There is not much downtime.

With TIBCO as a platform, scalability should not be an issue because it is cloud-based and should support autoscaling. You run the Docker image on Kubernetes or RedHat, then the BW (BusinessWorks) site is always relatively stable and also very easy to scale. It is scalable both vertically and horizontally.

As far as looking at it as scaling to a larger number of users, TIBCO is really not a GUI where a user will log in and perform tasks. It is middleware, where you use it to expose APIs and from there you have systems connecting to it. So it supports the operations of the entire enterprise. You can not really quantify the number of users because it is just a tool for exposing APIs.

I work with TIBCO technical support almost every week. We often have to raise a ticket. Not in a bad way. Most of the time it is just that we come to a new situation or requirement and it is better and quicker to have them assist us. It is not because of the stability of the solution. It is always a new challenge where we require their technical assistance.

The technical support team is usually very prompt. I think the kind of support we get from TIBCO is unparalleled.

There was a time we did a pilot with Oracle SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture). But in terms of a faster API tool, TIBCO is miles ahead of SOA in terms of functionality and setup. It is also better in terms of ease-of-use. Oracle is too complex. I find it unnecessarily complex and heavy.

I think the setups that I have done were mostly straightforward. They really did not require a lot of back and forth or complicated configurations. But in some scenarios, I have had complicated implementations. These are businesses with complex business requirements and that is when I need to contact the support at TIBCO.

The initial setup normally takes between a week to two weeks. This is for the deployment and then after that, we spend a little time doing some testing. It is really not an outrageous amount of time for deployment at all.

What other advice do I have?

The only caveat I would tell people considering this solution is that there are issues with the container-based image. It needs to be made much smaller. But as a tool to help you work doing what it was made to do, it is a very good product.

On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate TIBCO as a nine-out-of-ten. If you see the amount of work that we do with it and the kind of revenue and customer experience because of the value that we get from TIBCO, the high rating is warranted.

More TIBCO BusinessWorks reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Denodo, Talend and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: February 2021.
464,655 professionals have used our research since 2012.