TIBCO BusinessWorks Review

Stable and has connectors to many of the legacy systems, but needs better pricing and fixes for stability issues in the latest version

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for enterprise application integration. Basically, it does the integration between the applications. If you want to integrate multiple systems, it lets you expose an API. For a business application that is running on, for example, AS/400 or COBOL system, if you want to expose some information pertaining to the system, TIBCO would also play a role there. It will get the information from the latest system and just transform it into a simple format and give it as a response to the operating system. We are currently using versions 5.14 and 6.5.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily.

The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers.

If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse.

I have been using this solution for almost 12 years.

In the latest version, we are frequently facing issues, but version 5.14 was very stable.

Scalability is a challenge. Because we are using on-prem and it is not on the cloud, autoscaling is not happening. Autoscaling is not possible because we need to increase the cores and RAM in our virtual machine and bring the services up.

TIBCO has another version that supports the cloud, but we are not using that particular version because it is very expensive. We have raised some of the questions with them, and we got a quote from the TIBCO team about the cost of the cloud-supported version, but we would also like to evaluate other cloud-supported tools that are available in the market, such as MuleSoft and Fiorano. We would like to compare these tools and see which one is feasible and for which one, people are available for development activities.

We are also using TIBCO Enterprise Messaging Service (EMS).

It is simple. The deployment hardly takes five to eight minutes. but the internal implementation can take time depending on the business scenario. We have around 800 plus APIs as of now.

We have vendors as well as an in-house team.

It requires basic maintenance. If APIs are taking more time, we need to fine-tune that. If they are not responding, we need to look into that. It depends on how it is implemented and deployed in the environment and whether we need to fine-tune the environment. We have a tool called TIBCO Hawk. It is a monitoring tool that gives us some kind of idea about whether the service is up or down. If it is down due to some reason, we can set a rule to autostart.

It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for big companies. It is a stable product.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a seven out of ten. They should fix the outstanding issues in version 6.

More TIBCO BusinessWorks reviews from users
...who compared it with Dataloader.io
Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Denodo, Talend and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.