TIBCO Mashery API Management Review

Has the ability to have different packages based on the API keys but the setup is complex

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it to expose APIs for internal and external usage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to have different packages based on the API keys. The same core system can have different packages based on different environments.

What needs improvement?

The way the Agile life cycle works needs improvement. I also want to see more support for open API standards. I want to see some improvement in the protocol transformation. That is missing now. These are the three main issues.

We've been using this solution for seven or eight months.

Based on my usage, it was quite stable.

We didn't reach the point where we tested the scalability of the system, because it was not productive. We only had three users.

Their customer support was pretty good. They resolved the problem every time, but sometimes there were technical limitations of the product itself. Every time we asked for their support they were very supportive.

There were some drawbacks on a low level, not from a high level perspective.

The initial setup was a little bit complex due to the fact that the first one was on premise, so we had some tech problems. We solved it, but it was a little bit complex in the beginning. The deployment took us two or three days, at least.

I used an external consultancy company for the implementation.

The main difference was that it was a little bit more mature in certain areas and the fact that we were, as a company, already experienced with TIBCO is why we took the direction of TIBCO itself.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to check all the features from a low-level perspective if they fit exactly the needs of the company at the moment that it is trying to using this solution. I have also checked other products and I'm working on other similar products. The thing that I experienced is that most of the high functionalities can be offered by everyone. Everything can be done by everyone, or at least the basic functions can be done by anyone. The main difference is at a low level. I experienced that sometimes only when you try the product can you really see the potential of it.

So the suggestion that I want to make is simply, before choosing it, try it. Whatever questions you can take to them, the answer will be every time, "Yes, we can do everything." But then when you try the product you see the real capabilities and the real pain points if there are any, not that there are pain points every time.

I would rate this as a seven out of ten. Besides the three main issues I mentioned, TIBCO is also missing some other features: ones that are quite standard for the market but not standard for this product, somehow. The ones I noted are the main reasons, but there are a lot of others.

I gave it a seven because it's mature as a product, but it's not mature enough regarding the differing needs around APIs these days. The solution is good, but it's not good enough.