TIBCO Rendezvous Review

I don't have to be physically connected to a server for receiving a message. The point-to-point connection in the mailbox needs to improve.

What is most valuable?

Connectionless is the most valuable feature. The whole idea behind that is I don't have to be physically connected to a server in order to receive a message. What it does is that it broadcasts messages on the multicast and UDP ports.

Its speed is also an important feature.

How has it helped my organization?

There have been improvements; in the original version, there was basically a broadcast 255 address. Now, you can use specific multicast addresses. So, it became more specific.

What needs improvement?

The point-to-point connection issue with the mailbox needs to improve. In the case where you can send a message from the mailbox with the Daemons, so the point-to-point connection needs to improve a little bit. Point-to-point means that there's a way of being able to communicate from one daemon to the other, and being able to restart daemons on the fly. That is one of the things that has to be improved.

We have used this solution since 1997, i.e., roughly for about 20 years.

There were no issues with the stability, it is very good.

It's more of a transport mechanism. For example, if I have subscribers for IBM in the market, so it's a one-to-many software, it's not a point-to-point solution. It allows people to subscribe for events anonymously. The scalability depends more on the OS and the network, this is where the scalability issue lies; it's outside of the realm of the machine specifically.

They're pretty good with the technical support. TIBCO has been a good vendor for technical support.

We wrote our own deamons. It is called OTS (our own version software).

The setup is very straightforward.

They're very good with their licensing, although a little expensive. But, I recommend others to run a trial before they do it.

We did an extensive choice, i.e., when we originally made the choice. At that time, there were not that many vendors doing what TIBCO was doing. That's the truth, they had the monopoly in the market at that time.

What other advice do I have?

You should read the documentation really well. They have made some improvements over the years(during the past 20 years). It's a hundred times better than what it was back in 1996/1997. It's much better now.