Tibcosoftware

TIBCO Spotfire Review
It reduced how much time we spend manipulating data in Excel. Pricing should be more transparent.

Valuable Features:

The following features are the most valuable to me:

• Ability to import data from disparate sources and manipulate/transform that data
  • Ability to create visualizations that communicate insight
  • Integration with R

Improvements to My Organization:

This application has reduced the amount of time we spend manipulating data in Excel.

Room for Improvement:

Allow insert columns to be changed after the initial operation. Currently, if an insert columns operation needs to be changed, the user must replace the entire table and this could involve significant rework.

Expand the statistical modeling functions.

Allow lines in line charts to be formatted.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution for 3.5 years.

Deployment Issues:

I have found that the manuals for deployment can be lacking in detail and explanation. I frequently open help desk tickets when working on installations.

I rate technical support 7/10 and getting better.

Implementation Team:

I know that we had a vendor team do the initial installation but have done all upgrades and additional product (Stats Services) installations ourselves. Again, the manuals are often lacking in detail and explanation.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Spotfire seems to be more expensive than other tools and negotiating with the vendor can be difficult. They could make purchasing the product a lot easier by being more transparent on pricing and having the same pricing or pricing tiers for all customers. Customers absolutely hate this negotiation process because it is not transparent, and also because the negotiations seem to take a long time. Be transparent and fair.

Other Solutions Considered:

I have only used Spotfire. Every oil and gas company I have worked for uses it.

Other Advice:

The vendor has historically provided two updates per year, although there can be more. In my opinion, updates twice a year with new features is pretty good given the amount of testing required to rollout an updated version of the product.

Also, if you find defects in the software and report them to their HD, they will notify you when hotfixes have been created, and they are pretty good about pushing out hotfixes for known issues.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About TIBCO Spotfire?

Our experts can help. 233,815 professionals have used our research on 5,900 solutions.