TIBCO Spotfire Review

Even if you do not have a lot of IT skills, you can build a dashboard fast.

What is most valuable?

Data discovery is very simple.

Improved data wrangling (7.8)

Building a dashboard is very fast, even if you have limited IT skills.

You can retrieve data from a database without using SQL and integrate data from different sources (Excel, CSV, database, and so on).

Predictive Models incorporated in the dashboard(TERR-R-S-Matlab)

Integration with Tibbr

What needs improvement?

1. Add more visualization types. The number of charts available out of the box in Spotfire can be enhanced. I know there is a Custom Extension, JSViz, to integrate D3 visualizations. Last year I had a look but I remember there were limitations in using this extension and anyway it requires a Java script knowledge.
  2. Provide the capability to trigger a Python script on marking change. It's only possible to trigger an R script on marking change. In my experience, considering customers requests and forum discussions it's a feature requested . Using some tricks can be achieved but it should be out of the box.

I used it for 2 years.

Deployment is very simple.

Sometimes the Spotfire client crashes when you test a Python script.

There is an issue with the web player exhibiting the same behavior in all browsers. Sometimes, the property control in the test area is resized or not well displayed.

Scalability improved in the new sw versions (7.5 and higher).

With the new architecture (7.5 and higher) load balancing for the web player is out of the box. Easy setup of spotfire server cluster for fault tolerance.

I had a few issues with the product, and they were quickly solved by the support team.

It is simple in my opinion. If you find any issue: Read the installation manual!!