TIBCO Spotfire Review

It offers embedded R scripts and a mapserver.

What is most valuable?

• Embedded R scripts
  • Mapserver

These features are key to separating BI tools from ETL tools. RDMS have ETL tools that run the transfer protocol. Some BI tools in the oil and gas industry have ETL features that take the place of accessing the database directly. In the big data ecosystem, the data cleansing process takes place before ETL processes are run to integrate the data. On the other hand, in RDMS, the data cleansing takes place after the data has been imported from disparate system into the database.

How has it helped my organization?

I used it in an academic setting as a resource to learn R scripting. I have found it an easy API to learn.

What needs improvement?

I encourage a seamless integration with Hadoop; a direct connection to Hadoop server from a session in Spotfire. This might exist for the Spotfire server connectivity, but I do not work with the server version.

I have infrequently used it for two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I haven't used technical support.

I have used several BI tools and still maintain this diversity in product usage.

Initial setup was somewhat complex on the client’s system. I am not familiar with the server installation.

It is economical to consider desktop client usage when possible.

I also use QlkView, Tableau and MicroStrategy.

What other advice do I have?

Consider how you intend to use the product before investing in functionality that you might not need.

More TIBCO Spotfire reviews from users
3 Comments

author avatarOrlee Gillis

How would seamless integration with Hadoop change your experience/productivity?

author avatarit_user176847 (BI and Location Analytics Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees)

Spotfire has evolved from a Visualization into a big data cleansing solution using R after buying S code. If Tibco continues there innovation efforts this product will morph into a onestop product that seamlessly integrates with any data file server. Hadoop licenses as freeware which makes it economical for BI vendors to focus development on seamless integration to corner ant file system (RDMS and Nosql).

author avatarOrlee Gillis

Thanks, Carolyn. For the time being, how do you compensate for the lack of seamless integration?