TIBCO Spotfire Review

It can be manipulated using IronPython, JavaScript, HTML/CSS & jQuery, and so on.

What is most valuable?

The best features are its malleability; it can be manipulated using IronPython, JavaScript, HTML/CSS & jQuery, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It is being used in a number of ways within the organisation, from internal financial analysis to products and services we sell to our clients.

I have used it for ~18 months.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have not had to use technical support that much, save for when I first started learning the software. The service I got then was very good/positive.

We have used a number of solutions (as the product is used in many areas of the company). In my previous role, we replaced Cognos with Spotfire and the benefits were plentiful, including but not limited to:

• Improved types of reporting/visualisations
  • Significantly more malleable than Cognos
  • Advanced analysis features

I believe the admin/installation was not as straightforward as other software. However, I wasn’t directly involved in that.

Many other software products were reviewed; the decision to proceed with Spotfire was made at executive level.

What other advice do I have?

Find experts in Spotfire; perhaps get some consultancy to fast-track your knowledge. We are lucky enough to have internal expertise to fulfill that requirement.

3 Comments

author avatarOrlee Gillis

Hi Gareth,
What would you say is the benefit in finding experts in Spotfire?

author avatarConsultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

Hi Orlee, I'd say I found it easier to speak to people when it came to specific use cases, as there is almost too much available when you search Google for a solution. Sometimes you can find yourself trying to solve something by being too complex, where a simple solution exists.

author avatarOrlee Gillis

Good to know. Is this something you've found with many solutions in general or specifically with/exclusively to BI Tools or to Spotfire?