TIBCO Spotfire Review

Connects to many data sources, enables us to quickly see insights in the data

What is our primary use case?

Very generally it's used for meshing together many data sources and doing data visualization.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Spotfire, it's very quick to see insights in your data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to connect to many different data sources is one of the key features. The other would then be the different ways in which that data can be visualized.

What needs improvement?

The key thing for me is to see that the product continues to add more types of visualizations. On top of that, I would like more easy-to-implement analytical algorithms. At the moment they include things like forecasts and regressions. They need to add a lot more of these types of things to the product because not everyone is a data scientist.

Three to five years.

It's extremely stable. There may be some criticism, as a client, about it not being made available on a Mac, as opposed to just Windows. But on the Windows platform, it is fairly stable.

Some of the biggest customers have 40,000 users, so it is extremely scalable.

Technical support is exceptional. I think it has extremely good coverage with multiple levels, Bronze, Silver, and Gold, ranging from standard support through to 24/7 mission-critical.

As a reseller, the typical vendors would always be Tableau, QlikView, Spotfire, and maybe in that mix would be Microsoft Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

When looking into a product like this, you really need to think not just about what your requirements are today, but to think about it from a requirements point of view for 18 months or two years down the track.

Also, think about whether or not you just want to do BI dashboards or real analytics. If it's the latter, then Spotfire's the tool for you. If not, if your company isn't ready for analytics, then you're probably better off getting a cheaper visualization tool.

When selecting a vendor the most important criteria are

• credibility
  • time in the marketplace
  • service support
  • geographical footprint.

I would rate Spotfire at eight out of 10. I still think there is work to done on the visualization side of things. And there is also work to be done on the statistical algorithms.