Tintri VMstore Review

The compression / deduplication numbers they advertise are probably accurate for a pure-VDI environment. In a mixed-workload environment, you numbers will definitely vary.

What is most valuable?

The insight into details such as latency at the VM level (disk, host, and network) is unmatched. At a quick glance you can significantly cut down troubleshooting time and quickly identify bottlenecks.

How has it helped my organization?

Almost no time is spent on maintaining storage. Since LUNs are no longer part of the storage infrastructure, there is no need to worry about performance, LUNs filling up, or optimizing snapshots.

What needs improvement?

None come to mind; the unit was a breeze to setup and I haven't come across any sort of setup issues at all.

Excellent.

Excellent.

We were using a NetApp, however its performance was severely lacking and we required a larger storage footprint.

Extremely simple - you are prompted for a management IP to get things going, and then via a web GUI you can add your vCenter hosts. After you add the datastores to your hosts, you are done - not paritioning, no RAID groups, etc.

Implemented in-house.

We were considering options from NetApp, Dell, HP, and Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

1 Comment

author avatar

We used 1.7x space saving instead of the 2.4x Tintri says which as you say seems reliant on VDI. The clone technology is great unless you already have 800 VMs which are not clones.