Tintri VMstore Review

The hybrid flash is fast with low latency, but we didn't get the expected data compression ratios in deployment.

What is most valuable?

Speed - the hybrid flash has low latency even at high bandwidth.

Performance Metrics - the ability to see which VM is having issues in now only 3 clicks away.

How has it helped my organization?

Since our purchase Tintri has added QoS. While that works great the vmstores are so good at eliminating noisy neighbor issues we have not had to use it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration of the Tintri features directly into vSphere. Some of this is an extensibility issue in vSphere. They need to keep improving single pane of glass management across many Tintri units and not just monitoring of all units. They are making progress on both of these issues.

9 months

We do not get the expected data compression ratios. This has been true for all data-dupe/compression technologies.

No. I can perform OS upgrades during the day. The active-passive architecture switches so fast the upgrade causes no issues.

Scalability is just an add-more proposition. It is easy and the units come essentially in small, medium, and large.

They have been very responsive to all questions and tickets.

They have been responsive and helpful.

We were using NetApp FAS3240. They are older models and too slow. Their OnCommand Balance product never lived up to expected monitoring.

Setup is easy. The storage is only for virtualization so it is ready to go. Add some basic configuration information, add the datastore, move VMs. No knobs to turn to tune it in.

We implemented this in house. One shouldn't need a team to setup a Tintri.

How do you value a trouble free solution that works and provides metrics you cannot get anywhere else?

It is nice that we can add encryption later if we need it. It is so common to need encrypting disks with initial purchase to get this feature.

What other advice do I have?

Get a POC. The time it takes to setup and test is so minimal.

More Tintri VMstore reviews from users