Tintri VMstore Review

We replaced a EMC VNX 5700 with Tintri. Cost, performance, and ease of management were the primary reasons for the replacement.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features for us, among them are speed, savings of storage space, and the ease of setup and management.

How has it helped my organization?

Using VMstore, we no longer need a dedicated storage engineer, saving us costs from a human resources perspective. There's also very little setup required for new Tintri units. And once set up, management can be done by anyone.

What needs improvement?

It would be very helpful if it had scheduled time-to-full trend reporting because management always wants to know how much time is left on storage.

I've been using it for 11 months.

We've had no deployment issues at all. It's the simplest storage installation we've ever seen.

We encountered no issues with stability.

It's scalability is great. Because it’s node-based, if you need more space, you just add a node.

Customer support is excellent. They're very responsive.

Technical support is top-notch. We dealt with Steve Phillips, and he's been great.

Tintri replaced an EMC VNX 5700. Cost, performance, and ease of management were the primary reasons for the replacement.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We gave VMstore the addresses, told it where the vSphere vCenter was, and it literally did the rest. It took us about 30 minutes, including racking the unit.

Steve Phillips from Tintri came in person to show us how to set up the unit. His expertise is complete.

Pricing is much less expensive than anything of similar size/performance that we looked at (Pure, Tegile, upgraded VNX). The licensing is quite simple, especially when we made the purchase. It was all-inclusive then, and now they have more products that can be licensed.

We looked at Pure Storage and Tegile, and considered upgrading the existing VNX 5700.

What other advice do I have?

Install a POC unit and put test machines on it. That is the best way to see what it can do, and it is *very easy* to install/remove.

Fig 1: Typical Monday morning in the primary datacenter on Tintri T-850. The space savings (x1.9) means that we are getting nearly twice as much value out of the Tintri than standard storage.

Fig 2: IO changes between Sunday and Monday performance not changed by the increase in IOPS:

More Tintri VMstore reviews from users
...who work at a University
1 Comment

author avatarit_user400461 (Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees)

There is an indication on the main page of days left till full, but this only kicks in after a certain period of time, and when you have hit a certain percentage of storage I believe.

Screenshot of one our boxes here:

--Jason