Tintri VMstore Review

The overall speed of the system is the main feature that's valuable for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The SAN was purchased for our VDI environment. As soon as we put it in place, we noticed a threefold speed increase in the overall system.

It has greatly improved the performance of our VDI environment to start. Since the initial deployment we also attached it to our "Server VM" vsphere and even placed some of our virtual server workloads on it and it has handled that load very well.

What is most valuable?

The overall speed of the system is the main feature that is valuable for us. The metrics and analytics it provided is great also.

This product was purchased for our VMware View VDI environment . At the time we were having disk latency issues and were looking for an all Flash array. This is a Hybrid unit. At first we were skeptical it could provide the same performance as an all Flash Array, but when we tested it against one it did. So speed was our primary feature we were looking for and we certainly got. We also find the detail per-vm reporting at the ability to see reports from the hypervisor straight back to the storage useful. Another other nice feature is the vmware aware granular abilities to provide QOS to each VM.

What needs improvement?

On the physical side, I would suggest adding a light to each of the controllers that would indicate which is the active and with is the passive.

On the software side, I suggest adding integration with backups software like CommVault Simpana or Veeam where these products can integrate with the array and trigger things like snapshots for backup, etc. We are considering buying another to host more of our virtual server workload.

The unit has been very stable since it came on-line.

We currently only have one device, so have not scaled it.

The customer service is excellent.

The only time we ever had an issue was when we were converting our storage infrastructure from 10GB Base-T to 10GB fibre. We inserted the wrong style Gbic into t he unit and a port would not come up. Support called us before we even thought to call them.

We have an all Flash Equallogic unit and the Tintri is much faster. The Equallogic also does not de-dupe the data or have any other feature like the Tintri does.

The initial setup was very easy.

1. Rack the unit
  2. Plug in power and network.
  3. Assign an IP via the cli.
  4. Login via a web interface and complete the set-up.
  5. Load the needed module on each hyper-visor.
  6. Mount the storage.

We implemented it ourselves.

The ROI is very good and will continue to grow as we scale our vdi

Compared to other products in the same area, it's cost effective. The price is the price and is reasonable for the class of storage. Licensing is not a factor as there are no additional license costs.

In addition to Tintri we also did a proof of concept on Pure Storage. While the Pure Storage was slightly faster it was 40% more expensive and provided 70% less useable storage.

We also met with SolidFire, NetApp, Dell, and HP.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of people get spooked by the word hybrid. Don't be. This thing is a hybrid but has all-flash speed.