Tintri VMstore Review

We can now identify VMs, which require a lot of disk performance from a single console

What is most valuable?

• The performance graphs, which allow us to see real-time IOPs.
  • Latency at the virtual machine (VM) level.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now identify VMs which require a lot of disk performance from a single console. It has also allowed us to give our developers access to disk IOPS that were not previously possible, reducing both migration times and job run times.

What needs improvement?

The Hyper-V configuration is not as easy as VMware. Documentation could be better as well. The replication technology is good, but could be improved to allow the powering on of the replica instead of having to clone the machine.

I have used it for three years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We had to replace a chassis because of a bad fan connector.

We filled up the performance quota before filling up the space.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

We used Atlantis ILIO. We switched because Tintri gave us similar speed at a good price point on physical disks as opposed to the Atlantis approach of using memory for the disks. We also got a lot more insight into VM behavior.

It is straightforward. Plug it into the power and network, give it an IP address, add the vCenters, then add the storage to VMware.

We did it in-house.

We have not calculated this. It is a difficult one to calculate as well, as it has saved man hours for both support and developers in troubleshooting storage I/O issues. It has also allowed us to actually complete upgrades that were failing on our traditional storage arrays because of time-outs when accessing the disk. So without Tintri, we would not have been able to perform these upgrades.

Pricing is very competitive, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. At the price point, the restriction to a specific TB size per unit can be forgiven.

The VM replicate license is not worth getting.

We compared it to Atlantis ILIO, which we were currently running.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have four 10GB ports available, as each controller has two ports. If they are both filled, it will flash the error LED on the front of the unit.