Tintri VMstore Review

You can restore a VM from an existing snapshot, and if you have Tintri OS 4, you can attach the snapshot as a attached disk to an existing VM.

Valuable Features

The feature I like the most is SyncVM. With a few clicks, you can restore a VM from an existing snapshot, and if you have Tintri OS 4, you can attach the snapshot as a attached disk to an existing VM!

The must have features are: Per VM QOS et Replication.
The new Scale Out option since TintriOS 4.2 is another feature and really useful when you have two VMStores and more. You don't have to manually balance VMs between VMstore, this feature do it for you!

Improvements to My Organization

VMStore does the job very well. I was a bit curious about how this box could perform like the big names, but after the POC, I was very impressed! It has simplicity, performance, and the best support team.

V.M...A.W.A.R.E. This is the new aspect we didn't have before. We have a lot of internal monitoring component to maintain good performances. With Tintri, the device does it by itself.

Room for Improvement

iSCSI could be a nice add-on. Dedupe is a nice to have! At this moment, compression does a very good job, but I'm sure dedupe could be the next big thing for VMStore.

Use of Solution

I've used it for more than 1 year.

Yes, we got a faulty DIMM, but got it replaced the next business day.

VMStore is fully redundant. We tested all kinds of failures and the box is very stable. If you upgrade the firmware, you don't have to worry about downtime -- you don't have any! We also had some network problems but the HA did very well.

For now we don't have scalability issues, but It would be nice to add an external bay for additional storage space. If you need more space, you need to buy another full VMStore.

The support team is available 24/7. If your ticket is critical, you can pick up the phone and you have the right answer very quickly!

For any kind of problem, you can expect the right guy. You can escalate the problem very quickly if you need it. You don't have to talk to a thousand tech guys to get the right answer. Tintri support gave us the right facts and responded very quickly.

We used Hitachi VSP, but the support renewal is very costly. We got good feedback with the first contact with the Tintri sales team and we did a POC right after that!

The initial setup was really simple. You read the quick start manual and got a working solution in under one hour. No complicated setup at all!

Implementation Team

We got the solution from a vendor team and they knew the box really well. We did a comparison in-house to be sure, and we don't regret this step.

ROI

At this moment, the ROI is really good for us. We bought additional VMStores in the first year for additional storage space and DR site. We are looking to add more and more in the following year.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

You pay for what you get. You will have the performance you need and you will not be disappointed at all! About licensing, you get the essential options for the smaller price. Some killer add-ons are available, but it's all your choice.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at Tegile because they offer multiple protocols (iSCSI, NFS, SMB, etc.), but their replication process is very disappointing. Tintri is the best for a VMWare solution and its simplicity is a must!

Other Advice

Tintri has the best solution in the storage world. Virtualization and storage is a good match and they are always adding new stuff with each new firmware release. I don't hesitate to recommend Tintri to my friends!

1 Comment
Jason ButlerConsultantTOP 20

The VMStores currently do have Deduplication - on the SSD layer, not the HDD. the addition of iSCSI would be very welcome though - I agree! (although given the architecture, it would be difficult to implement)

15 March 16