Tintri VMstore Review

It has QoS per VM and great overall performance tracking.

Improvements to My Organization

We are a small shop, not having to manage LUNs, disk type and disk tiers has allowed us to focus more on overall health of our virtual environment and not the day-to-day challenges of traditional LUN-based SANs.

Valuable Features

It has easy setup, easy administration, and no LUNs! Performance for the price is amazing. It has QoS per VM and great overall performance tracking.

Room for Improvement

The Tintri OS and GlobalCenter software do a great job of showing you troubled VMs, however it still could be a bit more helpful in diagnosing the issues. We have had a couple Linux VMs that went out of control with IOPs and Tintri showed us that, but we still had some digging to find out why. So adding some more detailed information as far as where the IOPs issue is coming from would really help.

We've had no issues with the stability.

This is our main love of these units -- connect to VMware and Tintri monitor and manage your performance.

Amazing, only a couple of support call so far, and they were small things. Tintri was great with their response and assistance.

10/10 - we have had two cases open with Tintri, a bad power supply, which they quickly replaced and a issues with snapshots which was fixed with an OS update. Both cases were handled quickly and professionally.

We had both CORAID and EMC, but all Tintri now. This is hard for me, we have had so many issues with our past storage systems, CORAID (which we have totally decommissioned) and our EMC storage systems, that our Tintri systems have just been perfect. I know that sound a bit biased, but it is not, I have been a storage administrator for almost 20 years and the past eight months with two Tintri units has been hands down the best.

It was easy to setup.

Implementation Team

Tintri did free install with an engineer but we didn't really need it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We are a smaller IT shop and even the T820 is a bit large for our needs, which means we are paying for more storage space than we need, so something a bit smaller/cheaper would be nice.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at NetApp, Tegile and Nimble.

Other Advice

Seriously, my 20 years in storage and this is the best solution I've ever used hands down. The company is great to work with as well!