Tintri VMstore Review

By using the Tintri management interface, we get VM-level statistics from both of our hypervisors.

What is most valuable?

We've been using Tintri for around six months now and we love the per-VM level statistics. It's also very easy to setup and to live with.

How has it helped my organization?

By using the Tintri management interface, we can now get VM-level statistics from both of our hypervisors. This allows us to quickly diagnose latency issues and find solutions for them before they become bigger problems.

What needs improvement?

Tintri hardware is perfectly sized for the medium-to-large office. Their interface and methodology is great, but it's a shame there is nothing for a robo office with 10-20 machines.

We've used it for six months.

We've had no issues with deploying Tintri. From start to finish it was less than 45 minutes with most of the time taken to get it into the rack.

We have performed failover testing before going live and experienced no issues.

We have also performed updates to Tintri during the day with no problems.

When Tintri gets to either the maximum performance reserves or available disk space, the only upgrade path is to purchase a new unit.

Customer service from Tintri is excellent. Our account manager is always available to talk to us and we have access to him and his expertise.

The technical support has been very helpful, even proactively replacing a piece of hardware with a known fault.

When we had to look at support renewal costs for our existing hardware vendor, they were very high which the prompted us to look into different hardware vendors.

The initial setup was very simple and it took 45 minutes to get fully up and running. Unboxing and racking took the longest.

We used in-house skills to get this working as it really doesn't require any expert knowledge compared to other storage vendors.

We plan to be using the Tintri system over 5 years, but we expect our ROI within 1-2 years based on lower admin overheads and quicker troubleshooting of issues.

To get the best pricing, work with Tintri and a vendor and they will be able to advise best on what they can offer.

Before we chose the Tintri storage system, we looked at a number of different companies, but many were removed from our selection process because of no NFS support which was our main focus.

What other advice do I have?

Stop using LUNs and start working with Tintri. The simplicity will amaze you and takes the stress out of storage.