Tintri VMstore Review

What is most valuable?

The ease of administration is crazy good. The dashboard makes things so easy to understand that you have a full grasp on what your VMs are doing and where the bottlenecks are. The speed that you are able to achieve from this storage is better than what we have seen from any other vendor.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to perform maintenance on all our VMs at the same time, backup multiple VMs at the same time, etc. without causing lag to our users.

What needs improvement?

Of course, a lower price would always be welcome. We were one of the first hyper-v adopters, so it was a bit more cumbersome for the initial setup, but the new OS has resolved these issues.

We've used it for one year.

We had problems with performing backups straight from the Tintri when using Hyper-V as the hypervisor, but the fix is due 2nd quarter of 2016 and their support was great to work with.

The Tintri platform is rock solid. The increase in stability has been the major reason that we are so pleased with Tintri.

Scalability is not really an issue. When you run out of space, you just purchase another unit and create a new share.

When we had backup issues, their support was great and we had actual engineers call us back and work through the problem with us.

If you have an issue, Tintri gets the right people on the call to get the problems fixed. You don't waste time getting transferred all over the place.

We used NetApp and had nothing but problems with slow speeds, with stability, with needing to hire consultants for management and upgrades. It was an expensive solution that didn't deliver.

Tintri is probably the easiest SAN that you will ever encounter. 15 minutes and you are up and running. You need very limited information, and the setup poster gave any information to get you going.

There was no need for vendor help or consultants. The setup takes 15 minutes and is extremely straightforward.

We are able to fully patch our servers and run more VMs without having to purchase additional storage. Our ROI after switching to Tintri and Hyper-V is in the $40-$60K range.

Tintri is going to be a cheaper option that some others, but that doesn't mean you lose anything. It was built from the ground up to host VMs, and isn't an older solution retrofitted to work with VMs.

We looked at upgrades to our Netapp, or going with an HP or EMC SAN. Neither was able to deliver what we got from Tintri.

What other advice do I have?

Hands down one of the best investments that we have ever done. We loved it so much we bought a second one for another site a couple of months later, and now we are buying a third.