Toad Data Point Review

Easy to learn, good connectivity to multiple data sources, and helpful supprt

What is our primary use case?

We had an unsupported version of Hyperion that needed to be replaced. Toad Data Point allowed us to quickly transition to a similar solution and to easily convert all of our preexisting queries (more than 300) to the new solution with minimum effort. The learning curve was minimal and the business was able to continue with no impact on our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to build out a full data governance strategy and continue to run intuitive reports that the business can action.

We have been able to move all of our standard reporting over and continue to support the ongoing needs of the business in this user-friendly tool. We have also been able to automate all of our standard reports using the Toad Intelligence Server, which allows us to spend more time on custom asks from the business and to offer extended services to all functional areas of the business.

Our business uses this tool on a daily basis along with companion visualization to help key stakeholders make decisions and take action to support our customers.

What is most valuable?

It offers an easy learning curve for the team and conversion of pre-existing queries.

The Query Builder is great for novices. It doesn’t take long before a new user can start getting the data they need

The Calculated fields feature is helpful and we had nothing that is even close in Hyperion.

The Connectivity and Connection Manager supports a broad number of connection types, and it is trivial for end-users to set up their own connections to sources. You can flip between different servers, databases, and local sources quite easily. It also allows for cross-connections.

The Automation wizard can get the novice started easily. Using the more advanced automation functions is fairly intuitive for basic users. You drag and drop your logic and steps, and see it diagramed out.

What needs improvement?

This product would benefit from a better "join" function that is more intuitive.

The "Group By" should be defaulted to "group" when a field is added. When there is a calculated field, the automatic "group by" doesn’t work. Instead, it needs to be done manually for that field.

Occasionally, it has some odd issues after a Windows update, although support is pretty good at offering short-term solutions and fixing them in future releases.

Table joins are not working properly the whole time.

We have experienced query breaking when visualized, after editing in the script.

You can’t use the visual to add two calculations on one field. Rather, it has to be scripted.

On the scheduling server, some scheduled reports just sit there and never execute for the first time. After manually executing the first time, they run with no issues.

We have been using Toad Data Point as a replacement to Hyperion for more than one year.

The solution is very stable, with just some Windows update synchronicity issues.

Toad Data Point is very scalable and the support team listens to feedback and takes action. We use this with our Power BI solution and it meets our current and future growth plans.

They have excellent support and appreciate constructive feedback on the tool and any opportunities to improve.

Prior to Toad Data Point, we used Hyperion.

Compared to Hyperion, it has much more advanced abilities with subqueries. Some reports that needed multiple queries in Hyperion can be executed with one run in Toad.

The initial setup is straightforward and we easily converted from the Hyperion tool. The Toad Intelligence server was also an easy setup.

We implemented this solution in-house.

The cost of this product is reasonable.

We needed an easy-to-use and train tool that could be used by our BI team to support the business on a long-term basis with minimal effort.

We looked at a few others but this really was our first choice.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this solution requires minimal effort to set up, the cost is reasonable, and support is excellent.

Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Microsoft, SAS and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.