Tomcat Review

User-friendly and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We are using Tomcat for one Java-based application that's used for any carrier site. We have one portal for carriers. Any external user can apply for whatever openings are there. Through that site they can apply and our HR can review their profile and invite them for an interview. Tomcat is handling all these processes.

What is most valuable?

The company decided earlier, when our database was on Oracle, that Tomcat is more suitable for Java-based applications and it's a free tool with free servers that we can download and use there.

Tomcat is user-friendly and easy to set up, especially compared to WebLogic or JBoss where some specialty is required. If you are going for Tomcat, you can use their guidelines and can set it up easily

What needs improvement?

Tomcat is used mainly for database connections. As of now, we configure that environment for any database configuration. But if any utility can integrate where we can pass the database connection as a string of details, then it should encrypt them and keep them inside. From that security perspective, Tomcat requires improvement. They should integrate this security feature.

I have been using Tomcat in my company for the last two years. In my previous company I used Tomcat for application, deployment and configuration.

Tomcat is very stable, nothing new in this one, it's a very old product. We were using this product for our small application testing back when we were in college.

In terms of Tomcat's scalability level, wherever scalability or a higher ability is required, we use a load balancer and other things to just upscale the data.

We have one 15-person team that is using it. It is exported to the internet, so external users are using it whenever they connect to the application.

We provide technical support because we have the knowledge about this product so we don't feel any external support is required as of now for Apache and Tomcat related issues.

The initial setup is very easy and straightforward.

It takes me a couple of hours for Tomcat implementation.

Tomcat is an open-source solution so we don't have licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Tomcat is that they don't have too much load on their website. It's not for all websites. For normal sites, they can use Tomcat.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Tomcat an eight.

More Tomcat reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle WebLogic Server
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat and others in Application Server. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.