Tomcat Review

Stable, easy to deploy, and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on our main e-commerce web page.

What is most valuable?

Compared to Oracle Web Projects, it's very user-friendly and the administration is very simple. The navigation is very intuitive.

The deployment process is very fast.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't have too much experience with monitoring, however, it's possible it could be improved. It would be great if they offered more integration of monitoring tools.

The management maybe can be improved a bit.

I've used the solution for a small instance in the past. We have used it for three or four months now in a bigger instance. We've only used it for a few months at this point, and therefore, it's still pretty new to us.

The stability is good. We haven't had any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. We have a structure that we can easily scale up or down. It's very simple for us.

We haven't contacted technical support. We haven't needed any assistance. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I've also used Oracle WebLogic.

The initial setup is very easy to install. It's very easy. A company shouldn't struggle with the setup process.

The deployment is fast.

I don't have any information on the pricing. I don't handle that aspect of the solution.

That said, my understanding is it's less expensive than, for example, Oracle.

I'm able to compare WebLogic with Tomcat, and I can say that Tomcat beats WebLogic on a number of fronts. It's easier, simpler to deploy, and less expensive. I prefer it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Tomcat.

We also use the solution on a private cloud as well as on-premises.

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with it.

I have experience with WebLogic and Tomcat. I'd recommend Tomcat over Oracle, as it's easier to manage and install. It's my understanding that the pricing is a bit lower as well.

More Tomcat reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle WebLogic Server
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat and others in Application Server. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.