Tools4ever HelloID Review

A flexible solution for application management, and facilitated centralization of our IAM

What is our primary use case?

We use HelloID for ourselves and our customers. It helps us manage all access to our applications. In our situation, we have a HelloID portal and our clients also have a HelloID portal. When our clients need support, our employees are able to access the client portal without the need to log in. This is very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helped us with centralizing our IAM. It was spread out over many places. Now we can easily control who has access to which client or client application. The fact that our employees can ask for temporary access to an application prevents unnecessary access and adds to the security of the environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the ability to use provisioning. In this way, flows can be created where users can ask for access, and other users can approve or deny it. Next, people can ask for temporary access to applications, which is very useful. For example, when giving support and its needed to take a look into the client application. In that case, you only want access for that moment.

What needs improvement?

We use HelloID for ourselves and clients, so we need to manage a lot of client environments at once. Functionality to manage this situation is not yet available. When something needs to be changed with the sign-on policies, we have to apply this manually to every client environment that we have.

We have been using this solution for one year.

We have never had any problems with HelloID not being available, so it is a very stable solution.

HelloID is a cloud solution that performs ok. There have been situations or moments where it felt like it was slow responding, but its always hard to pinpoint the cause of this. The number of clients we have using HelloID is growing and this does not result in underperforming responses.

Our consultant answers our questions almost immediately.

We did not previously have a central login solution. All of our applications had their own login functionality.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward. The number of steps that need to be taken to get a client environment connected to our client portal, and then connected to the first application is quite a lot. This makes it easy to make mistakes.

Our vendor assisted us with the deployment. The individual who helped us implement HelloID has a high level of expertise. We are still in direct contact with him, which is very much appreciated.

We evaluated several options before choosing this solution. At first, we researched the possibility of building it ourselves using existing platforms like Auth0, Okta, OneLogin, IBM, Microsoft, Ydentic, and The Identity Hub. Next, we explored a buying scenario with EnableU, as they offer a similar solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is flexible and has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, a lot of things can be configurated exactly as you want it, but on the other hand, this makes it hard to automate and reuse it in other environments.