Trend Micro Apex One Review

From a technology point of view, it is very simple to install and it's not heavy on the endpoints in terms of the amount of processing cycles

What is our primary use case?

Our business is what you would call national key infrastructure so if anything happens to our business we will have a major economic impact for Africa. From that point of view, we cannot afford for anything to go wrong with our endpoints networks. Our primary use case is to have a best of breed endpoint response rate.

What is most valuable?

From a technology point of view, it is very simple to install, it's not heavy on the endpoint in terms of the amount of processing cycles. It is simple to deploy and the interfaces are easy. You don't need to be a scientist to operate it.

Then the other things that are really just as important as the technology like the people behind it. When you look at it from a support perspective, the Trend Micro people are exceptionally passionate about their business and their products. That translates into phenomenal service that you get, which I haven't experienced with any of the other vendors at this point in time.

What needs improvement?

I think the one place where we like where they lacking is in a unified style dashboard. We've got multiple reporting in all the various components, but they need something to tie all of it together. There's deep discovery, deep security, and we've got a lot of different layers, and then we need something to tie all of this back together from an MIS point of view. I think that's the one place Trend Micro can spend a little bit more time on. But operationally, it's phenomenal.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The scalability of the solution is phenomenal. We started looking at things like Apex One in the cloud and it's amazing when we're looking at it from a commercial perspective, it makes a lot of sense and because you don't have to rely on maximum infrastructure in terms of your service and distribution boxes and all these other things that you traditionally would have. From that point of view as it's chalk and cheese against the competitors. Also, the organization's willingness to partner with you- it's not just somebody coming to do a sale, it's like a family and they actually mean it.

They provide me a SOC service on the backend. We partnered locally with Trend SA and that's one of the major reasons why the product is phenomenal is because of the technical support.

I can pick up the phone and I can phone the global CEO of the organization. That's the level of commitment that Trend Micro put into their products versus Symantec, Kaspersky or McAfee.

When you started doing some of the advanced things, it becomes a bit more complex when you start running the mobile device management and we're doing Apple enrollment because Apple is so difficult for the enrollment features. So when you're doing stuff like that and you're running it across the internet, that's got a fair bit of configuration that you need to know. Partnering becomes equally as important as the tool. With the right partners.

The price point is exceptionally competitive. And I find that in most cases it's actually better than the competition. When you start looking at everything that you're getting and you're lumping all of the stuff together, it is exceptionally competitive. It is not a cheap solution so if you want cheap, then you go with another solution. But from a corporate perspective, I think they are exceptionally reasonably priced. So much so that I think the displacing of the technology is going to be detrimental to any business because you're going to end up buying a much more inferior product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro a ten out of ten.

The only thing that I would be presumptuous enough to tell Trend Micro they need to improve is that they need to have a bold interface for a C level executive so that they can look at a screen and see the holistic picture of what the state is giving them.

More Trend Micro Apex One reviews from users